Current Affairs for 17th to 25th March 2017
- BJP Legislature Party leader N Biren Singh was sworn-in as the new Chief Minister of Manipur on 15th March 2017. Governor Najma Heptulla administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr. Singh at Raj Bhavan in Imphal.
- The Enforcement Directorate, ED has summoned separatist leaders of Jammu and Kashmir Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Yasin Malik in connection with its probe against them in two separate Foreign Exchange Management Act, FEMA cases.
- Senior Congress leader Captain Amarinder Singh, has taken over as Chief Minister of Punjab and was administered the oath of office and secrecy by Governor VP Singh Badnore at Raj Bhawan in Chandigarh. Those sown in as Cabinet Ministers were Navjot Singh Sidhu, Braham Mohindra, Manpreet Singh Badal, Sadhu Singh Dharamkot, Tript Rajinder Singh Bajwa, Rana Gurjit Singh Sodhi and Charanjit Singh Channi.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved release of an additional instalment of Dearness Allowance (DA) to Central Government employees and Dearness Relief (DR) to pensioners from, 01.01.2017. it has increased by 2% over the existing rate of 2% of the Basic Pay / Pension, to compensate for price rise. Indian Institute of Information Technology Public Private Partnership (IIIT-PPP) Bill, 2017 was also passed to “grant statutory status to 15 IIITs set up under the PPP mode and declare them as Institutions of National Importance, to enable them to grant degrees to the students in the academic courses conducted by them”. It also approved proposal for opening of 50 new Kendriya Vidyalayas (KVs) under Civil / Defence Sector in the country keeping in view the high demand for these schools for their quality of education and excellent results.
- Chief Minister of Goa Manohar Parrikar won the vote of confidence during specially convened Goa Assembly by 22 -16 votes. This was announced by pro tem speaker Siddharth Kunkolienkar after the vote of confidence on the floor. Vishwajeet Rane of Congress skipped floor test. Churchil Alemao of NCP supported in favour of BJP led Government. In the newly elected Goa Assembly, BJP has strength of 13 MLAs and Congress has 17members.
- Government has approved the National Health Policy which proposes to provide assured health services to all. The policy was approved at the meeting of the Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi. Under the new policy, there will be an increase in the ambit of sectors covered in the Primary Health Centre, PHC level and it envisages a comprehensive approach. Sources said, there will be a bigger focus on upgradation of district hospitals while for the first time, there will be an implementation framework in place. It also addresses the issues of universal health coverage, reducing maternal and infant mortality rate, as well as making drugs and diagnostics available free at least in the public healthcare system of the country. The proposed Policy, which has been pending for the past two years, aims to provide assured health services to people as an entitlement.
- India’s most successful Badminton Doubles specialist Jwala Gutta has been appointed a member of the governing body of Sports Authority of India (SAI). Conveying the information about her appointment, SAI Secretary SS Chhabra said in his letter that he was sure Jwala would be able to spare her valuable time to attend Governing Body meetings as and when scheduled by the chairman. The 14 -time national champion said she is looking forward to play her role in the development of sports in the country. Two-time Olympian Jwala won the bronze medal at the 2011 World Championships. She is also a 2010 Glasgow Games in women’s doubles.
- Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh said that the agricultural growth is expected to remain at 4.4 per cent during this financial year. Replying to a discussion on the Demands for Grants of Agriculture Ministry for 2017-18. Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan said in the Lok Sabha that the NDA government has taken various steps for doubling of farmer’s income by 2022.
- The Indian duo of Ravichandran Ashwin and Ravindra Jadeja became the first set of spinners to be jointly ranked number one in the ICC Test rankings for bowlers. Jadeja has caught up with Ashwin in the rankings after the second Test against Australia in Bengaluru which India won by 75 runs on Day 4 on Tuesday. Jadeja’s seven wickets in the match, which included a crucial six for 63 in the first innings, have helped him move up one rank to reach the top position for the first time in his career, the ICC said in a statement. The last time two bowlers shared the top spot was in April 2008 when Dale Steyn and Muttiah Muralidaran were at the top. Ashwin too played an important role in the Bengaluru match. His eight wickets took him past spin legend Bishan Bedi’s tally of 266 wickets and made him the fifth-highest wicket-taker for India in Tests with 269 wickets.
"WE PROVIDE COACHING FOR SSB INTERVIEW, NDA, CDS, AFCAT, CAPF, TA, ACC"